Club of Bulgarian Women Writers

The Club of Bulgarian Women Writers was founded in 1930 by the most recognised female poets and writers. Its leaders were authoritative and enterprising women: the playwright and writer Evgenia Mars, creator of a literary salon; Elissaveta Bagryana, the author of the most modern Bulgarian poetry in the interwar period, and Fani Popova-Mutafova, writer of highly circulated historical novels and novellas, and a translator with right-wing views regarding gender roles.Most of the Club members had a university education. They were famous publicists and translators, active in public, and members of charity and cultural societies.

They were united by the desire to gain a prominent role in the male-dominated sphere of literature and equal rights in publishing and payment. For this purpose they organised literary readings, lectures, celebrations and book exhibitions in the capital and other parts of the country. The Club published several collections with women’s writings as well as dozens of articles in the feminist press.

The Club also established contacts abroad, paid mutual visits and made translations in exchange with similar women’s societies in Yugoslavia, Romania, Greece, Hungary, Slovakia, as well as in collaboration with the PEN, whose Bulgarian section was managed by the poetess and Club member Dora Gabe. The Club had notable public prestige; some of the members gave their opinions on cultural legislation; it co-operated with public organisations; and was financially stable.